Sunday, November 11, 2007

Frustration to Innovation!!

I joined Manhattan Associates as a Quality Analyst ( It is a refined name for a testing engineer ;) ). Initially I found what ppl did and what I had to do, absolutely ridiculous. It was only when I was given the automation project, things changed. Even writing automation (Win runner) scripts was a boring task. However My roommates always used to say that any similar repetitive task can be and should be automated. This remained my inspiration and I started organizing my tasks such a way that it was similar and repetitive and achieved another level of automation and dramatically increased the productivity. There was a very good recognition for me in the company. I got personal appreciation from the leaders of the company including the MD, CTO and CEO. My MD said that I was a part of the solution and not the problem. The video below which was put in our intranet portal is an example. I just wanted to share it with you all. Pls do watch :).



The idea of automating any similar repetitive task remains in my head and I'm implementing it as much as I can in my work. Some crazy ideas like automating highly repetitive tasks in life like cooking and the likes keeps flashing in my head. However I'm uncertain if I will be able to do anything to it :) !!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

gr8 da

nice to hear and see you after a long time :)

keep up the great work

cheers
- Jagannath

MK said...

scene da mag..muthal la "structuring haphazard.." etho nnu browser load aagum pothu seri etho virus than pola irukku ...thought some one hacked your id and sent this to your mailing list.. :-)

nice to see the video da..scene podu... cookin automate seitha kandippa sollu...keep that in high priority da... :-)

Anand said...

seems like u r enjoying work, enjoy!

Arvind said...

scene da!

Suchi said...

Good work macha!!! Congrats

Magizhan said...

Jagannath, Mars and Suchi : Thanks :)

mk: automate panniduvom vidu, ana yaarukku vali adhigam irukko avanukkuthan marundhu kandupidikra drive adhikam irukkum. So i think you will do it soon :)

anand: enjoying :). I'm trying to get out of the monotony as much as i can ;).

Kannan S A said...

You r right in telling that there r a lots of things to be automated.But Can cooking be automated? I think it's more of an art than science n i feel an art cannot be automated.Amma samayal book ezhutinaa padikkiravange samayal ellam amma samayal maadhiri irukkuma?

Anonymous said...

@kannan s a

why not da :D

amma samayal maathiri irukkanumnu avasiyam illa.. but atleast ethavuthu saapida kadaikkum illa without much effort ... hehehe

and also there is cooking automation to a certain extent already:

* coffee machine, toaster
* idli and dosa making machines

things are possible.. they just require some smart ideas, right time and economic feasibility

Confounded-Lady said...

Looks like someone's climbing up the Corporate ladder fast! Way ta go Mag!!

Kaushik said...

kallaku da machi ! great work :)

asiftherock said...

Hey Magizhan. Great job man. Your original mail had gone to the spam folder and just saw it when I was clearing it. Nice work. Keep it up

Melona's take !! said...

gr8 work maams...making waves yeah ;)

Sriram

Magizhan said...

mayth, K2, Asif, Sriram

Thanks ppl :).

Ramya said...

Wondering why i am seeing this only now..
Super! Great work man.. Same stuff in every office i guess.. But you have sure made a beautiful difference!

Bharani said...

what else can i say... testimony of the great magizhan juggernaut at work... all the best